Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Probably One of our Favorite Places

Baska, Croatia
View of Baska from hike
Beautiful but windy and cold Baska
Quaint Baska
We will have the seafood platter for two!
OH MY! Baska, Croatia was everything we didn't expect it to be and everything we expected it to be.  We thought we were heading to the beach for one last time to soak up the rays and relax with the kids on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Instead, we arrived to rain, chilling wind, and one quite wild ocean.  We drove through Austria and Slovenia to get there, over one of the largest cement bridges in the world leading us from mainland Croatia to the island of Krk (try pronouncing that!). An island full of charm, ruggedness and intrigue, instead of lying on the beach we found ourselves weaving and wandering in and out of the numerous allies, winding little streets and breathtaking views. And oh the art of masonry in the many man made walls we discovered up on the hilltops! We fell in love with the people, cafe culture historical town, and its bakery. Yes. One.  On the day we left, I don't think we were ready.  Liam wanted an ice cream from one of the many ice cream places (it was just tooo cold for ice cream) I wanted once more to wind in and out of the many little ally ways and take pictures of old windows and doors.  Scarlett wanted to run up and down the little streets with Liam.  And, I think Christopher would have wanted to eat the seafood platter together again at our favorite restaurant. We had such a great time.  Thank you Baska!

2 comments:

Rocket Musings said...

Sounds awesome, I'm glad you're having a great time.

Christie Findlay said...

That beach must be gorgeous in the summer. I'm so jealous - even rainy and grey it still looks fiercely lovely. MISS YOU GUYS!!!!!!